“In matrimony, to hesitate is sometimes to be saved.”
Samuel Butler (1835-1902)
My Dear Vulgarian Miss,
I take it that your gentleman friend has not yet, as they say, “popped the question.” (Indeed, why would an engaged woman be reading this column?) If he has not, it could be time for some hard thinking, my dear.
Is he truly Mr Right? Or have you been Miss Mistaken?
Here are some questions that will help.
• He is attractive, certainly. But is that his only asset?
• Does he have a more-than-adequate source of income?
• Can he handle money? Is he willing to delegate money management to you?
• Are you constantly irritated by some small mannerism of his?
• Does he tell lies? Of course he does, but do you mind?
• Is he quarrelsome? Does he try to boss you?
• Is he hard on other people? How does he treat servants?
• Is he a flirt? Does he enjoy making you jealous?
• What about hobbies? Is he fond of something odious like Beer Tourism?
• Are you proud to present him to your friends?
• Can you spend seven consecutive evenings together without being bored?
• Does he have a criminal record? Any outstanding warrants?
You will laugh, but I was not born yesterday. Choose a husband carefully, my dear. “Until death do ye part” can be a very long time.
Cordially yours in the upward climb,
Sir Walter Elliot, Bart
Archive of Marrying Well columns
Timely advice from The Art of Manliness.com
Copyright (c) Laura Hile, 2012